ant-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <bode...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Test Failures
Date Mon, 07 Jul 2003 08:37:27 GMT
On 07 Jul 2003, peter reilly <peter.reilly@corvil.com> wrote:

> I am not sure that that depending on an undocumented (I think)
> feature of Vector/Enumeration is a good idea.

I agree, though it is sort-of documented in Vector's javadocs (the
class description).

,----
|  The Iterators returned by Vector's iterator and listIterator methods
|  are fail-fast: if the Vector is structurally modified at any time
|  after the Iterator is created, in any way except through the
|  Iterator's own remove or add methods, the Iterator will throw a
|  ConcurrentModificationException. Thus, in the face of concurrent
|  modification, the Iterator fails quickly and cleanly, rather than
|  risking arbitrary, non-deterministic behavior at an undetermined time
|  in the future. The Enumerations returned by Vector's elements method
|  are not fail-fast.
`----

So if we agreed that it is OK to add/remove tasks to the target
currently being executed, we simply needed to provide a better
implemenntation than the old one. 8-)

I tend to agree that we shouldn't allow that use-case, which leaves us
at the point that we need to document it.  Doing it in the javadocs of
Target is one place, <script>'s documentation and the developer
section of the manual as well - any other places?

Stefan