ant-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <bode...@apache.org>
Subject Re: cvs commit: ant/src/testcases/org/apache/tools/ant DirectoryScannerTest.java
Date Wed, 23 Jul 2003 06:38:20 GMT
On Tue, 22 Jul 2003, Steve Loughran <steve_l@iseran.com> wrote:

> Of course, we will see a speedup on case sensitive file systems,
> right?

It depends 8-)

In situations where all your include patterns start with constants
paths, you'll see significant enhancements - no matter whether the
filesystem is case sensitive or not.  I.e. something like

<fileset dir="." includes="a/b/c/*.java"/>

If you have something like

<fileset dir="." includes="**/*.java"/>

there'll now be a certain constant overhead and no speedup at all (but
no big cost either).

The real benefit occurs in situations with many <include> patterns if
those patterns start with some constant path or don't contain patterns
at all.

Stefan