ant-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <bode...@apache.org>
Subject Re: FileUtils#normalize(File)
Date Tue, 29 Jul 2003 14:13:58 GMT
On Mon, 28 Jul 2003, Knut Wannheden <knut.wannheden@paranor.ch> wrote:

> I've noticed that the normalize(File) method in FileUtils requires
> that the File to normalize is absolute.  I was wondering what the
> reason is for this reason.

I'm not entirely sure (we extracted the code from Project way back
IIRC).  On problem I can imagine is that of relative paths that go up
beyond "", something like normalize("../../foo").

> Even a path like "../foo" could be normalized using the system
> property "user.dir",

No, most invocations of normalize happen from resolveFile, so you
already know which absolute directory to resolve against.  ${user.dir}
is almost always wrong for Ant's own usage.

Stefan