ant-dev mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <>
Subject Re: override
Date Thu, 31 Jul 2003 12:23:19 GMT

Conor MacNeill wrote, On 31/07/2003 14.07:

> I think with a renaming <import> task this would let you override any part of
> the build easily.

Very cool indeed :-)

[I'd like to thank all the ones that are discussing on import. Very nice
posts and constructive stuff, I love you guys :-)]

It seems that we can then make these tasks:

  <include>   :like entity includes
  <override>  :like your example
  <import>    :both of the above (do we want it at all?)
                                 (would i tdo other things?)

Separating converns makes both more simple both to understand and reuse.
Not though about the implications much, but I really like it.

The only thing that comes to mind is that I cannot use super ion
dependencies, which is a nifty feature :-(

> BTW, note that simple renaming of targets is not enough. Any use of a target
> name needs to be updated too (e.g. <antcall>). Can be done (at time of use)
> but may require tasks knowing their import prefix. The import task will need
> this to do cascade renaming.

Aha! Wait a sec, is this about the multiple inheritance-no-crosstalk
thing I outlined?

Could you please expand on this, I'm interested.

> Anyway, just thought I'd throw it out there. Override might even be useful in
> an entity includes approach.

Very interesting.

Nicola Ken Barozzi
             - verba volant, scripta manent -