ant-dev mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: ant 1.5.4 : Import
Date Thu, 24 Jul 2003 15:27:20 GMT

Dominique Devienne wrote, On 24/07/2003 17.18:

> This is indeed a valid use of knowledge of where an imported file was
> imported from.
>
> I still think (strongly) that the basedir of any imported file should be
> ignored (with a warning if it's something else than ".", the default), and
> always use the one of the top-level build.
>
> To allow the use-case presented by Stefan, and disambiguate unequivocally
> what is being used, a new magic attribute should used to locate
> resources/files relative to the currently imported file.
>
> During import, this magic attribute would be resolved/replaced at parse
> time, so each imported file is fully resolved against is own directory.
>
> Finding names is always difficult, but an 'importdir' attribute doesn't
> sound too bad. --DD

There is already an ant.file.importedfilename that can be used by
immported files, and we have asked to make it since a long time ago,
because we found out in Centiepde that it was needed.

Is it this what you are saying?

http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/*checkout*/ant/docs/manual/CoreTasks/import.html?rev=HEAD&content-type=text/html

Stefan Bodewig wrote, On 24/07/2003 17.09:
> The usecase for the later is something like Centipede's cents (as I
> understand them) where a <taskdef> in the imported snippet needs to
> specify jars for the classpath - and would do so using relative paths.
> For easier installment of the full package, that should be relative to
> the imported file IMHO.

But since we package cents and get the resources for the cents, and
install the cents in their own dirs, for us it makes sense to keep the
references relative.

             - verba volant, scripta manent -