ant-dev mailing list archives

From Kenneth Wood <kenneth.w...@e2open.com>
Subject RE: ant 1.5.4 : Import
Date Thu, 24 Jul 2003 15:44:30 GMT
-----Original Message-----
From: Conor MacNeill [ <mailto:conor@cortexebusiness.com.au>
mailto:conor@cortexebusiness.com.au]
Sent: Thursday, July 24, 2003 10:39 AM
To: Ant Developers List
Subject: Re: ant 1.5.4 : Import

On Fri, 25 Jul 2003 01:23 am, Dominique Devienne wrote:

> I (strongly again ;) believe that imported build files should be
> designed to be imported, and never used without being imported.

I disagree (strongly :-). I think augmenting/overriding an existing build
file
is a valid use for import. I recently changed the checkstyle build I have
been using (check.xml) to import Ant's build.xml to pick up property defs
for
various locations. Have a look.

[KWW]->
Well, that's convenient, but not necessarily what I would have expected.

A C or C++ program doesn't include another  program just
to get definitions. Instead, the definitions are put into
a ".h" file, and both programs import that ".h" file of definitions.

So, the definitions of locations could be in
a "locations.xml" file, then imported by Ant's build.xml and your check.xml
allowing both build files to share the definitions, but not pull in any
unwanted
things.

<-[KWW]

Conor