ant-dev mailing list archives

From Ken Gentle <j.kenneth.gen...@acm.org>
Subject Re: <exec> on openvms
Date Thu, 10 Jul 2003 15:05:52 GMT
At 10:45 AM 7/10/2003, you wrote:
>On Thu, 10 Jul 2003, Ken Gentle <j.kenneth.gentle@acm.org> wrote:
>
> > Guys, if you're willing to introduce a JNI lib for VMS, all the
> > operations you wish to perform are available through VMS System
> > Services,
>
>Sure - just like many useful Unix operations (like stat or setuid)
>could be 8-)

Hey, I'm not suggesting that it be done for ant in general -- just
a one-off for a dying operating system...

>At the moment it seems that Ant's basic requirements to make <exec>
>work could be covered by Java and maybe an ANTRUN.COM DCL script along
>the lines of antRun and antrun.bat.

Fair enough, just a suggestion anyway.

>I'd like to stay out of the native code business for Ant as much as
>possible - in particular when we'd have to ask Knut to compile the
>stuff for each and every release.

I understand -- I was under the (apparently) mistaken impression that
Apache had a VMS box, or one or more VAXen or Alphas at least (maybe
running Digital's Unix OS (name escapes me at the moment)).