ant-dev mailing list archives

From Steve Loughran <stev...@iseran.com>
Subject Re: xdocs - link to wiki?
Date Tue, 29 Jul 2003 16:15:01 GMT
Stefan Bodewig wrote:

> On Fri, 25 Jul 2003, Erik Hatcher <jakarta-ant@ehatchersolutions.com>
> wrote:
>

>>What are folks thoughts on this?
>>
>>	http://weblogs.java.net/pub/wlg/274
>

> I'd be very careful with pulling down examples for our tasks from a
> page that anybody can edit (mostly anonymously) and include it in our
> distribution as definitive reference information.
>
> I'm even hesitant to do it for online docs.
>
> Can I get the Wiki (whichever wiki) to send things like commit mails?

yes.

> I really do not want to browse dozens of pages (as we have dozens of
> tasks) every day to monitor them - and I certainly do not want to get
> mails for pages that do not contribute to the Ant manual, of course.

I quite like the idea of hooking off into some 'annotation space' from
every manual page, so that people can add and discuss entries. This
should be separate from the API itself for clarity. We effectively have
that in Java APIs with Sun's bug database(*), though hotlinks to bugs
related to api calls would be nice feature in the javadocs...

-steve

(*) though since they unified their logins my login there "slo" is
blocked as being too short...