ant-dev mailing list archives

From Steve Loughran <stev...@iseran.com>
Subject Re: <exec> on openvms
Date Sat, 12 Jul 2003 06:39:20 GMT
Ken Gentle wrote:

> Guys, if you're willing to introduce a JNI lib for VMS, all the
> operations you wish to perform are available through VMS System
> Services, including getting/setting the Logical Names, and, IIRC,
> launching a DCL interpreter directly, avoiding the need for the DCL
> wrapper.
>
> It's been a while (like 1997!) since I worked on VMS, and I don't have
> access to a VMS box right now, but I'd be willing to chip in on the JNI
> library if that is acceptable.
>
> Downside is that you'll have to ship the VMS shared library, or the ant
> installation process would need to include the source with instructions
> on how to compile and link it (or a DCL script to do so).
>
> Just another option...

if we were going to add JNI support to ant core tasks, I'd leave VMS
alone and add the ability to get & retain execute permissions in unix :)

Regarding overall VMS support, given my day job PC is definitely
somewhere with HP's class A domain, it is probably my moral
responsibility to help get this working. Maybe I could grab the itanium
1box down the corridor that we are all scared of because it sounds like
a stress test of a rolls royce aero engine (I know, I used to work down
the road from RR Aero engines), put an early build of vms for ia64 on it
and gump it up. But I am not sure I have the time, and I lack enough
morals to be morally responsible.

Maybe we could start with a run of the full ant unit test suite on VMS
to see what happens.

-steve