ant-dev mailing list archives

From Gus Heck <gus-ant...@cognition.olin.edu>
Subject Re: <exec> on openvms
Date Thu, 10 Jul 2003 20:00:13 GMT

>>Do you know how to get around that?  Should the Execute class, in
>>the case of VMS, map the exit status to what's common on Unix
>>systems?
>

> Maybe we should provide a Execute.isFailure(int result) method that
> returns result != 0 on all platforms except OpenVMS (and
> result % 2 != 0 on OpenVMS).

So I read this and looked to my left at the Design Patterns book that
was already open to the Adapter Pattern for other reasons...

Fate? It does seem that an adapter to the java.Runtime() class that was
OS sensitive could be an option. One might even have different adapter
implementations for each OS, and instantiate different implementations
based on which OS ant is being run under so you didn't have to process a
bunch of if(Os.isName("foo")) to execute anything.

Just a thought, perhaps not even a good one. You tell me :)

-Gus