ant-dev mailing list archives

From Conor MacNeill <co...@cortexebusiness.com.au>
Subject Re: [Patch] keep-alive feature
Date Wed, 09 Jul 2003 07:24:13 GMT
On Wed, 9 Jul 2003 04:43 pm, Stefan Bodewig wrote:
> On Tue, 8 Jul 2003, Dominique Devienne <DDevienne@lgc.com> wrote:
> > Are you saying I'm repeating myself
>
> No, *we* are repeating history.  Go into ant-dev's archive about two
> years+ ago (discussion around the Ant2 features).
>
> See also [1] and search for "aspect".

Indeed. I think it is not a bad approach for these types of things. I did
implement pluggable aspects in Mutant.

Check out the executeTask method
http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/ant/proposal/mutant/src/java/antcore/org/apache/ant/antcore/execution/Attic/Frame.java?rev=1.30&content-type=text/vnd.viewcvs-markup

and the Aspect interface
http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/ant/proposal/mutant/src/java/common/org/apache/ant/common/antlib/Attic/Aspect.java?rev=1.5&content-type=text/vnd.viewcvs-markup

Here is an example performance measurement aspect
http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/ant/proposal/mutant/src/java/antlibs/monitor/org/apache/ant/antlib/monitor/Attic/MonitorAspect.java?rev=1.4&content-type=text/vnd.viewcvs-markup
and here was the corresponding antlib descriptor
http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/ant/proposal/mutant/src/java/antlibs/monitor/Attic/antlib.xml?rev=1.1&content-type=text/vnd.viewcvs-markup

For Ant today, pluggable aspects would be possible. We would need to think
what join points we would provide (see the interface above)

For the specific instance of having failonerror/keepgoing capability
everywhere, I don't think there is much difference between doing this in
Task.java and doing it with an Aspect, but aspects give you a mechanism to
add other aspects beyond simple these fixed few.

There is also a balance between the number of join points we would define and
the performance impact of consulting all the loaded aspects. Not sure how
that would pan out.

It's a fair amount of change so overall, I'd say this is a 1.7 feature.
Perhaps keepgoing should be deferred to then too. We risk indefinite
postponement of 1.6 :-)

Conor