ant-dev mailing list archives

From peter reilly <peter.rei...@corvil.com>
Subject Re: ant 1.5.4 : Import
Date Fri, 25 Jul 2003 15:16:40 GMT
On Fri, 2003-07-25 at 15:51, Conor MacNeill wrote:
> On Sat, 26 Jul 2003 12:19 am, Stefan Bodewig wrote:
> > On Fri, 25 Jul 2003, Conor MacNeill <conor@cortexebusiness.com.au>
> >
> > If A imports B and B imports C, how
> > does B address C if all relative paths depend on A's basedir, that B
> > cannot even pretend to know about?
> >

> The paths won't depend on A's basedir. They won't event depend on B's basedir.
> They will only depend only on B's location.
>
> So if B and C are in the same dir and B's basedir is "..", the import for C
> will still be <import file="C"> - i.e. basedir in B is ignored. What
> Dominique meant when he said everything is resolved to A's basedir he really
> meant everything *except* import paths (I hope that is what he intended). So
> fileset dirs, etc are resolved to A's basedir even if they are declared in B
> or C.
>
> Clear as mud?
Or a pint of guinness ;-)

I think that the file attribute is confusing. If a
<import href="C.xml"/> was used, it would be more obvious
that the imported file is relative to the importer file and
not to ${basedir} or the current working directory.
It may be also be possible to use URL's here, a little work
would be required in PH2. Possible use could be made of
jakarta's vfs ideas or code.

Peter