ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Antoine Levy-Lambert" <anto...@antbuild.com>
Subject Re: cvs commit: ant/docs/manual/CoreTasks exec.html
Date Tue, 29 Jul 2003 09:17:57 GMT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Stefan Bodewig" <bodewig@apache.org>
Sent: Tuesday, July 29, 2003 9:42 AM

> On 28 Jul 2003, <antoine@apache.org> wrote:
>
> >   in the sense that I do not connect at all the new process to
> >   stream handlers and the ant logging system, disabling input,
> >   output, error, and return exec attributes in the case of spawn.
>
> Won't this cause
>
> (1) the spawned process to hang as soon as it tries to read from stdin
> (no big deal as it isn't supposed to do so, I guess).
>
> (2) the spawned process to be stoped or even killed by the system (at
> least Unix) as soon as it tries to write to stdout or stderr (probably
> either with SIGTTOU, SIGPIPE or SIGHUP).
>
> The better approach for (2) would probably be to enforce the output
> and or error attributes to be set for spawn="true" and probably use OS
> specific redirections instead of stream handlers to ensure the spawned
> process will never try to write to stdout/err.

I do not know at all what is going to happen with output, error, stdin for
the spawned process. I do not know how you implement OS specific
redirections ?

I designed this to start something which is going to outlive ant, I thought
anyway that you do not want the output or error messages coming from the
spawned process to pollute asynchronously the ant logs.

Antoine