ant-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <bode...@apache.org>
Subject Multiple Class-Path in MANIFEST.MF (PRs 4683 and 21170)
Date Mon, 30 Jun 2003 11:14:26 GMT
Hi,

PR 21170 showns to rather unrelated problems AFAIU, but I'd like some
feedback - especially since Magesh and Conor have been through part of
this for PR 4683 already.

Problem 1 seems to be that the MANIFEST spec says that attributes
cannot be repeated in one section while other specs say that you could
do that for the Class-Path attribute in the main section.  It seems
that JDK 1.4.2 now emits warnings for duplicate attribute names, and
these warnings include the Class-Path attribute.

I don't see a solution apart from an attribute (mergeclasspath?) to
control the behavior for the Class-Path attribute.  If set to true
multiple Class-Path attributes would get folded into one - making JDK
1.4.2 happy.  For backwards compatibility its value would need to be
false even though java.util.jar.Manifest will ignore all but the first
entry, or so it seems.

Problem 2 is that the code in Manifest.Section.merge will not replace
the current manifest's Class-Path with the one from the new manifest
(as it does for all other attributes), but appends the new lines to
the already existing ones.  This seems rather easy to fix and will
solve the reporter's immediate problem.

Stefan