ant-dev mailing list archives

From Bruce Atherton <br...@callenish.com>
Subject Re: Ant scripting from Jython.
Date Fri, 13 Jun 2003 21:17:25 GMT
At 11:43 AM 6/13/2003 -0700, James Duncan Davidson wrote:

>>Not that useful but a bit more grist for this mill. It certainly showed me
>>that it is hard to cram the expressiveness of the XML approach into method
>>calls. I had to limit myself to a very narrow subset of tasks and their usage
>>patterns.
>
>It is a tradeoff.

I'm curious about this tradeoff and about the "XML Burden" you mention in
your blog. Is the issue using XML or is it better access to scripting
facilities within Ant?

The reason I ask is that Jelly already provides an XML scripting language
that can run Ant tasks. Using Jelly would allow both the expressiveness of
XML and the flexibility of scripting languages, for those that need it. It
would also minimize the mental shifts as well as the ugliness of mixing
different languages in a single file.

I don't know if Jelly is the right answer to the problem you see (I've
never used it myself). I know that many people are intimidated by XML,
especially XML that has a lot of namespace stuff going on and Jelly has
plenty of that. Also, Python is a very intuitive language to write in,
whereas using tags is awkward. I'm just trying to make sure I understand
the problem you are identifying.