ant-dev mailing list archives

From Steve Loughran <stev...@iseran.com>
Subject Re: Ant Documentation
Date Fri, 27 Jun 2003 16:15:34 GMT
Andrew Marlow wrote:
> Hello,
>
> The msg below was originally intended for Steve L, another
> Ant developer, but I have had trouble contacting him so
> I am now sending this to a wider audience.

sorry I have been in crisis, but am glad you are on the main mail list.
Apologies.

> I am trying to improve the Ant documentation.
> I would like to have a single multi-platform open format
> document. I understand that the project preference is to
> use DocBook. I am using an approach which, with the help
> of some scripts I am working on, will finally result
> in a DocBook Ant manual. As a stepping stone to this end
> I am doing the document in LaTeX. I have an awk script
> to do the LaTeX2DocBook conversion. This needs to be
> rewritten in Perl so that it is portable.
>
> Attached is the result of running latex2html on the source.
> Please let me have some feedback on this ASAP.
> This is quite alot of work and I am only roughly half-way through.
> I need to know if people will be happy with this.

And here the fact that the mail list strips out html files and big
attachments are making it harder to post. Adding the files as
attachments to a bugzilla report works nicely.

As far as the actual files, the effect of the underlying latex port is
to give us a good printed document, and a self-content-creating manual
in functional HTML.

I am unsure what is the best way to go from the existing HTML to .dbk;
Maybe via latex is the right way; I'd just assumed cut-paste-and-edit
would be it. I certainly agree with Andrew in that routing
printable content via pdflatex gives us the best printing material.

Who know of any good .dbk editors for windows & unix? There is some
stuff about add-on support in OpenOffice.org 1.1, but I havent played
with it.

-Steve