Return-Path: Mailing-List: contact dev-help@ant.apache.org; run by ezmlm Delivered-To: mailing list dev@ant.apache.org Received: (qmail 51621 invoked by uid 500); 14 May 2003 11:34:27 -0000 Received: (qmail 51618 invoked from network); 14 May 2003 11:34:27 -0000 Received: from icarus.apache.org (208.185.179.13) by daedalus.apache.org with SMTP; 14 May 2003 11:34:27 -0000 Received: (qmail 88535 invoked by uid 1146); 14 May 2003 11:34:27 -0000 Date: 14 May 2003 11:34:27 -0000 Message-ID: <20030514113427.88533.qmail@icarus.apache.org> From: bodewig@apache.org To: ant-cvs@apache.org Subject: cvs commit: ant/docs/projects/antlib antlib_classloaders.html antlib_contract.html antlib_descriptors.html antlib_namespaces.html antlib_roadmap.html index.html roles.html X-Spam-Rating: daedalus.apache.org 1.6.2 0/1000/N bodewig 2003/05/14 04:34:27 Added: docs/projects/antlib antlib_classloaders.html antlib_contract.html antlib_descriptors.html antlib_namespaces.html antlib_roadmap.html index.html roles.html Log: Regenerate docs Revision Changes Path 1.1 ant/docs/projects/antlib/antlib_classloaders.html Index: antlib_classloaders.html =================================================================== Apache Ant - Antlib Class Loaders
Apache Ant site Apache Ant logo

the Apache Ant site
Projects

Antlib Class Loaders

Jose Alberto Fernandez

Let me first say that this feature appeared by the need to be able to say,

  <antlib name="A" classpathref="XYZ"/>
  <antlib name="B" classpathref="XYZ"/>

And being able to make sure that B and A use the same classLoader and therefore they can use each other components.

My solution at the time was this idea of a named classloader that you could define using a classpath, and then tell your antlibs use this or that classloader, if you use the same classloader visibility is guaranteed.

Stefan Bodewig 23.04.2003 17:11

I understand that usecase (using the same class loader for 2 different antlibs) and think it's important. See Steve Loughran's comment on the .NET tasks wanting to have access to the datatypes defined in the cpptasks project for example.

Take a look at what Costin had done to <taskdef> and <typedef> with the loaderref attribute. This has now (i.e. CVS HEAD) been generalized in ClasspathUtils, the infrastructure for named classloaders is there - at least the foundation for it.

Stefan

Costin Manolache 29.04.2003 18:52

The main issue is how to enforce ordering to deal with dependencies between the antlibs.

Or simply do not deal with dependencies, ie antlibs must not (yet) depend on on the other, except for the core ones.

Using an unified class loader ( at least as default ) - like jboss is doing, or like JMX loading policy - has a lot of benefits. It also has some cases that are not well covered - so we'll probably need to deal with both "unified loader" and "loader hierarchy" cases.

1.1 ant/docs/projects/antlib/antlib_contract.html Index: antlib_contract.html =================================================================== Apache Ant - Antlib Contract
Apache Ant site Apache Ant logo

the Apache Ant site
Projects

Antlib Contract

definition of antlibs

Antlibs are special-purpose jar files containing a deployment descriptor called antlib.xml. These jar files contain ant tasks and types. In the near future, they will also contain custom components too able to act as filters, mappers, ...

The precise location of the deployment descriptor is already a point of discussion. (such as com/xyz/anttasks/antlib.xml). Costin Manolache would prefer deployment descriptors to live in packages The original proposal is to put the deployment descriptor into META-INF/antlib.xml in the jar files.

Under ant.home, a new subdirectory autolib would be created for antlibs to be loaded "spontaneously".

antlibs can also be loaded explicitly with an <antlib/> task.

links

Antlib task documentation

Antjar task documentation

todo

versions

ant-required-version, antlib-version (version used to build the library)

1.1 ant/docs/projects/antlib/antlib_descriptors.html Index: antlib_descriptors.html =================================================================== Apache Ant - Antlib Descriptor
Apache Ant site Apache Ant logo

the Apache Ant site
Projects

Antlib Descriptor

antlib descriptor in the proposal

  <antlib version="1.5" >
    <task name="mkdir" class="org.apache.tools.ant.taskdefs.Mkdir"/>
    <data-type name="fileset" class="org.apache.tools.ant.types.FileSet"/>
    <role name="filter" class="org.apache.tools.ant.filters.ChainableReader"/>
    <filter name="escapeunicode" class="org.apache.tools.ant.filters.EscapeUnicode"/>
  </antlib>

This is the layout of the antlib descriptor in the proposal. In each antlib jar file, the descriptor would be found under META-INF/antlib.xml

concerns concerning the location of the descriptor (Costin Manolache)

  1. startup time. In order to load one library you need to process all of them. It can be resolved with caching the result and looking at .jar modifications. Most likely we'll have dozens of antlibs - and that'll only grow in time. The processing of (all) TLDs at startup ( for tomcat ) adds a very visible overhead on startup, and at least tomcat is a long-running process.

  2. Placing multiple antlibs in a single jar may be trickier.

  3. It may place too much emphasis on the .jars and filesystem layout.

  4. A bit harder to control ( as we know from c-logging and JAXP ),

  5. Explicit control over what antlibs are to be used - versus loading everything. Well - I like "magic" loading, but a lot of things in ant are done explicitely.

I have no problem accepting a getResources() solution ( just like I'm ok with using XML - but not any XML :-), but those issues should be considered.
A lot of the "mess" in ant is the result of doing some things without considering all implications or just as side effect of how code happened to work. That's why I'm so strongly for breaking things down to individual problems instead of a bundle solution.

1.1 ant/docs/projects/antlib/antlib_namespaces.html Index: antlib_namespaces.html =================================================================== Apache Ant - Antlib Namespaces
Apache Ant site Apache Ant logo

the Apache Ant site
Projects

Antlib Namespaces

J.Pietschmann 03.05.2003 17:25

Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote: < This seems interesting, and brings up what XML namespaces can be used for.

XML namespaces are indented to disambiguate short local element and attribute names. Any sematic associated to XML namespaces beside this has to be weighted carefully.

Introduce namespaces: the Foo projects names its namespace "http://www.fooproject.org/anttask" while the Bar project uses "URI:bar" or whatever. For the XML parser it is only really important that two different strings are used. You see, the longer the strings the less tha chance they will clash, and they probably won't clash if they start with the URLs of the project's homepages (the intent behind the recommendation to use URLs, because it's the closest thing to a global registry you can get short of actually creating a global registry). Anyway, because the expanded names of the <part> elements are now "{http://www.fooproject.org/anttask}part" and "{URI:bar}part" respectively they obviously no longer clash. BTW you can write this as

    <target name="foo">
      <foo xmlns="http://www.fooproject.org/anttask">
        <part>
          <mumble>
        </part>
      </foo>
      <bar xmlns="URI:bar">
      </bar>
    <target>

or as

    <target name="foo"
       xmlns:foo="http://www.fooproject.org/anttask"
       xmlns:bar="URI:bar">
      <foo:foo>
        <foo:part>
          <foo:mumble>
        </foo:part>
      </foo:foo>
      <bar:bar>
        <bar:part><bar:xonx/><bar:xonx/><bar:xonx/></bar:part>
      </bar:bar>
    <target>

take your pick (if you think the "foo" and "bar" prefixes are too long, use "a" and "b" instead, it doesn't matter).

So far, the namespace names should only be different for different projects, so why is it dangerous to associate some semantic with it, like letting them point to a jar file? The problem is again that general purpose XML tools, like the above mentioned super-duper XML editor may associate their own semantics with the namespace, like how to auto-format certain elements. This information will be stored in some config files, and it requires that the namespace name is the same until the semantics of the elements in it have changed enough that it warrants assigning a new namespace name.

  1. XML namespaces are there to facilitate aggregation of XML adhering to schemas (content models) of different, uncoordinated origin.
  2. XML Namespaces should be used in a way that no end user action can result in two namespace names becoming unintentionally the same.
  3. XML Namespace names should preferably be assigned by the people or project which specifies the semantics of the XML elemnets and attributes therein.
  4. XML Namespace names should be kept unchanged until a change of the semantic of the elements warrants a change.
  5. Good tools should not monopolize XML namespace syntax for its own semantics.

The schema directed editor should provide an example hoe tools can take advantage of XML namespaces: use them as a key into a DB/config to get it's own associated semantic. In particular for Ant/Antlib I can imagine that each library provides a factory object associated to the XML namespace for the library.

The FOP parser uses such a two stage lookup: first the namespace is used to get a factory object from a hash table, then the factory is used with the local XML element name to create a Java object which is inserted into the FO tree. The hash table with the factories is initialized at startup, the associations between namespace name and factory class name is read from a Services file. Want to add a FOP extension? Get the default Services file, add a line with your namespace-to-factoryclassname mapping put it into the jar with all the classes and drop the jar as first into the classpath. If the user wants to use multiple extensions, well, edit the main Services instead, dead easy.

HTH J.Pietschmann

1.1 ant/docs/projects/antlib/antlib_roadmap.html Index: antlib_roadmap.html =================================================================== Apache Ant - Antlib Roadmap
Apache Ant site Apache Ant logo

the Apache Ant site
Projects

Antlib Roadmap

Antlib with tasks and types only

Let me quote here Stefan Bodewig - April 24th 2003.

Let's make a version of antlib that knows about two predefined roles, task and data-type. I think this is already feature complete in the proposal (which does even more).

Let's move this code with the restriction to tasks and types into the main branch ASAP. Let's sort out the classloading requirements as well as the interplay of antlib with taskdef and typedef here.

After this flies, I'd expect us to get roles sorted out. If we feel like removing the difference between tasks and types, we can do so then as well.

Roles and components in build files

A second step : make a detailed proposal concerning roles and implement roles and components in ant core.

Roles and components in antlibs

Once roles and components are properly defined and implemented in ant core, we would revisit <antlib> and implement roles and components there.

Namespaces

After we have antlibs, roles, and components, we should specify how we are going to proceed concerning namespaces and prefixes.

1.1 ant/docs/projects/antlib/index.html Index: index.html =================================================================== Apache Ant - Antlib
Apache Ant site Apache Ant logo

the Apache Ant site
Projects

Antlib

Introduction

The purpose of this document is to summarize the discussions taking place concerning antlib. I will try to always give proper credit, and to represent honestly different views expressed on the ant development mailing list. Send comments/criticisms if you are not happy with these documents.

Overview

Jose Alberto Fernandez 03.04.2003 18:25

There are the following features in the antlib proposal:

  1. antlib & antjar
  2. type definitions that allow to define new implementations of mappers, selectors, paths, conditions, etc. That you can define in your antlib and a way to link this with the introspectors (I am not sure how complete this is).
  3. A scoping framework for the symbol tables needed to manage the antlib definitions (I think ANT has something on this regard)
  4. A framework for managing classloaders where you can specify which classloader to use when loading an antlib.

Specific themes

  1. Antlib contract
  2. Antlib descriptors
  3. Classloaders
  4. Roles, polymorphism, introspection
  5. XML namespaces
  6. Roadmap
1.1 ant/docs/projects/antlib/roles.html Index: roles.html =================================================================== Apache Ant - Roles
Apache Ant site Apache Ant logo

the Apache Ant site
Projects

Roles

What is a role

I am quoting here Jose Alberto Fernandez 26.04.2003 22:05: Roles allow defining families of objects (members of a role) that can be used by tasks or inner elements developed separately. The developer of the object accepting a particular role as a subelement has no knowledge of the implementation of the object but much more importantly it has no knowledge of the XML element tag used to refer to this subelement in the XML file.

In the antlib proposal, there are two preset roles :

  • task
  • datatype
Examples of other roles are :
  • mapper
  • filter

What does it all mean? It means we can now write a task, well typed, which can be accept different XML subelements depending on the declarations of other objects present on the build. The vendor specific elements of <ejbjar>, <jspc> and others are typical examples of where this capability can be very useful. Other parts of core could benefit of course.

What do they do that is no possible in ANT

They allow IntrospectionHelper to connect an XML subelement eventhough introspection cannot find a create or add/Configured method for it. It is a well typed methanism, the parent object will only be passed objects that it knows how to deal with. And the parent object does not need to have any knowledge of what currently available members are on the role.

roles versus DynamicConfigurator

The closest thing in ANT today is DynamicConfigurator but its purpose is on the other way around. Given an elementTag with no matching method it is up to the parent object to try to make sense of it. If we were to use this mechanism to accomplish what roles try to do, it would require the parent object implementor to be aware of where to find the correct definition (remember it is a 3rd party implementation) and perform the creation. It will be also its responsibility to resolve type conflicts, name collisions, etc. This are all things that should be done by IntrospectionHelper directly.

Also notice that Roles do not supersede DynamicConfigurator. On one hand roles let external implementations to be considered as possible subelements of a parent object, on the other hand, DynamicConfigurator allows a node to decide given its current state what is the meaning of a particular element. This cannot be done by roles in the general case, and that is good.

Implementation of roles in the proposal

this section quotes Jose Alberto Fernandez

Here I may deviate from the exact code and add thoughts about where do I think it should go.

Usage of Roles

The principle is very simple:

  1. A role is defined by an interface. This interface is the parameter for a new special family of addConfigured(<interface>) methods.
  2. When IntrospectionHelper fails to find a create/add method for the element, it will look at all the roles used in the addConfigured methods and on each of those roles will try to find an object declared with that element-tag name. If one and only one match is found then the instantiation is successful and the new object will be configured; otherwise it is an error and parsing stops.

  3. The configured object may or may not implement the Role interface, if it does not, an Adaptor object may be instantiated as a proxy for the object. Which adaptor is used depends on how the implementation was declared.

  4. The resulting object is passed as an argument to the addConfigured() method.

Declaration of roles

A role definition associates a name with an (Interface,Adaptor) pair. The only reason for associating a name with the role is to ease notation when declaring members of a role.

Notice that the same interface or the same Adaptor may appear in multiple declarations. This only means that depending on the name used the adaptor of choice will be different.

There can only be one pair associated with each name.

Declaration of implementations (members)

A class is declared as belonging to a role by specifying the name to be used when appearing in that role. The same class may belong to multiple roles and may specify the same or different names on each one.

The name used for the role during the declaration only determines which Adaptor will be available, if required.

Within a role-interface there can only be one object associated with each name.

Scoping rules

This is probably the more dificult aspect since given the way <ant> and <antcall> work it means possible redeclarations on every level of recursion. Whether declarations should just supercede one another or be smarter is something to look into.

Syntax

I have left out the issues of how the syntax looks like on purpose.

Syntax is just that and I am sure we can reach agreement somehow. It is also clear that we should provide tasks to define roles and declare members of roles direclty on the build.

Making ant aware of tag/role/class associations

The antlib proposal says : Let's declare explicitly that a tag can be used in a particular role and is implemented by a specific class. The declaration happens inside antlibs in the file META-INF/antlib.xml

    <filter name="escapeunicode" class="org.apache.tools.ant.filters.EscapeUnicode"/>

CM says : A normal typedef is enough to make ant aware of the existence of the class org.apache.tools.ant.filters.EscapeUnicode. Due to the fact that EscapeUnicode implements ChainableReader, the association between EscapeUnicode and the filter role does not need to be stated explicitly.

Method names in parent classes supporting roles

There is a discussion about how methods to add nested elements of a specific roles in a parent class should be called, and what their signature should be like.

CM : addTYPE(TYPE) for instance addChainableReader(ChainableReader a)

PR: to add an element before its own attributes and nested elements are configured. void add(TYPE) to add an already configured element void addConfigured(TYPE)

in the ant code of 1.6 : public Object createDynamicElement(String name)

Cardinality problems

One tag, several implementations

This is an argument to introduce roles in ant, and to associate an XML tag with a role and an implementation class.

Parent classes accepting one interface in different functions

As an example, the dependset task accepts nested filesets for two different functions :

  • source
  • target

Stefan Bodewig/Costin Manolache suggest :

   <dependset>
     <zipfileset ant:type="srcfileset">
   </dependset>

adapters

The antlib proposal mentions adapter classes, which would be connected to roles. Costin Manolache says that adapter classes should be tied to components, not roles. The reason : two different components implementing the same interface (AKA role) can require different adapters.

role proposal

slightly modified version of something writte by Jose Alberto Fernandez

  <role name="roleName" className="...." [adapter="...."] />
  <!-- I have added the possibility to declare a specific adapter per component to take into account what Costin said -->
  <component name="elementName" role="roleName" className="....."  [adapter="...."] />