ant-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <bode...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Enhance chgrp/chown? (was: Re: cvs commit: ant/src/main/org/apache/tools/ant/taskdefs Chmod.java ExecuteOn.java)
Date Thu, 22 May 2003 05:56:58 GMT
On Wed, 21 May 2003, Gus Heck <gus-antdev@cognition.olin.edu> wrote:
> Stefan Bodewig wrote:
>>
>>>currently chmod has a fair number of additional features.
>> Which are?
>>

> dir, includes, excludes, defaultexcludes...

Please don't!  These attributes come from the pre-fileset time and are
only kept for backwards compatibility.  Please look at the special
case in Chmod's execute that is needed to keep the old behavior of the
dir attribute.

> Another logicical addition to all 3 of them might be allowing
> dirsets.

I think the type="dir" attribute covers this, doesn't it?

>> It has been a "core task" of Ant virtually since Ant exists, so
>> there is no way to move it from "core" to "optional" unless we
>> restructure the set of built-in tasks completely IMHO.

To clarify.  I don't think we should move any core task to optional at
all - until we restructure our task system completely, which I'd
expect to go along with antlibs, yes.  There are more tasks than just
chmod that are in core but don't really fit there (cvs for example).

Stefan