ant-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <bode...@apache.org>
Subject Re: cvs commit: ant/src/main/org/apache/tools/ant/taskdefs Chmod.java ExecuteOn.java
Date Wed, 21 May 2003 07:04:13 GMT
On Tue, 20 May 2003, Gus Heck <gus-antdev@cognition.olin.edu> wrote:

> I plan to patch the docs to reflect this and the fact that they seem
> to accept the verbose atribute as well.

Thanks, I forgot they extended ExecuteOn.  I'll take care of <attrib>
myself.  Think that's all.

> Other things I have noticed is that a little while back chmod added
> support for Os.isFamily("tandem"). Should this go into chmod/chgrp
> too?

I have no idea.  The patch I received predates those two tasks, I'll
ping the original author.

> currently chmod has a fair number of additional features.

Which are?

> Finally, it seems a bit incongruous that chmod is not in
> optional/unix/ (now that that package exists),

It has been a "core task" of Ant virtually since Ant exists, so there
is no way to move it from "core" to "optional" unless we restructure
the set of built-in tasks completely IMHO.

> Of course moving a task to another package, brings up back
> compatability questions at the api level

They can be solved by making the old class an (more or less) empty
subclass of the new task.  See Transform.java or SendEmail.java.

> It doesn't seem like the sort of class that is likely to be extended
> or used in other code,

I disagree with "used".  I could easily imagine using Chmod for a
permission aware untar or unzip task for example.

> Oh and do we have any idea when the target date for the first 1.6
> beta release is...

I don't.

> if this is to be done, I am sure we want the maximum ammount of user
> testing and feedback on it.

As always.  But then it is a known fact that we don't get any feedback
on betas anyway (well, almost).

I've been watching Ant's freshmeat stats during the last releases
closely.  We get about six times more record and URL hits for final
releases than for betas.  Download stats at Apache are a bit difficult
as we don't monitor our mirrors.

Stefan