ant-dev mailing list archives

From Gus Heck <>
Subject Enhance chgrp/chown? (was: Re: cvs commit: ant/src/main/org/apache/tools/ant/taskdefs
Date Wed, 21 May 2003 21:06:15 GMT
Stefan Bodewig wrote:
>>currently chmod has a fair number of additional features.
> Which are?

dir, includes, excludes, defaultexcludes...

chmod supports these with it's own internal fileset. I could duplicate
it into my AbstractAccessTask (I think) to produce a similar effect in
my tasks, but I hate duplicating code like that... it violates that
whole DRY thing :).

Another logicical addition to all 3 of them might be allowing dirsets.

>>Finally, it seems a bit incongruous that chmod is not in
>>optional/unix/ (now that that package exists),
> It has been a "core task" of Ant virtually since Ant exists, so there
> is no way to move it from "core" to "optional" unless we restructure
> the set of built-in tasks completely IMHO.

Do you mean that if we move one thing there will be demand to move lots
of others, or do you mean that there is a fundamental code level
blockage to this that I have yet to perceive? Or is it a facet of the
upcomming antlib thing?

>>Of course moving a task to another package, brings up back
>>compatability questions at the api level
> They can be solved by making the old class an (more or less) empty
> subclass of the new task.  See or

Ok, and if I do this, is there still a difficulty in moving the meat of
the chmod class to where it can extend the same base as the others?

>>It doesn't seem like the sort of class that is likely to be extended
>>or used in other code,
> I disagree with "used".  I could easily imagine using Chmod for a
> permission aware untar or unzip task for example.

Mmm yes I suppose that people might have done things like that with it.

So is worth my time to add the above mentioned features? (by that mean,
would a reasonable implementation be likley to get committed?)

View raw message