ant-dev mailing list archives

From Gus Heck <...@cognition.olin.edu>
Subject Re: Roles (was: antlib)
Date Thu, 08 May 2003 04:15:01 GMT

Jose Alberto Fernandez wrote:

>But ANT is not for experience XML users but for Java programmers
>or C or .NET (with the new tasks). ANT is popular because
>it is simple to use you do not have construccions that require
>you to read a full spec to understand. I am not against NS, but
>I am against forcing people to use them just because.

I had never touched xml when I  first encountered Ant. But rather than
saying: "Yuck, I have to learn XML", my reaction was rather,
Excellent... I have been meaning to learn about XML anyway.

All this talk of namespaces gave me a good reason to go read up on them
in case they do become part of ant. But if a custom solution is coded
where can I go read up on it... where can I get a second book, or web
info on it ifi the  manual doesn't seem adequate? If standards are used,
then lots of information will be available to make sense of them.

I am in favor of using a standards based approach because it will save
me work in the long run. Time spent learning namespaces is likely to be
time well spent, useful elsewhere.  If I have to learn something I'd
much rather learn something I might see again.

-Gus