ant-dev mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Namespaces in Ant
Date Sat, 03 May 2003 08:37:08 GMT

Costin Manolache wrote, On 03/05/2003 8.22:
> One use case I had in mind for CH was a namespace like "jmx:...",
> where the JMXComponentHelper would use the JMX metadata to create the
> task ( no ant table ). That's clearly outside the scope of antlib or ant (
> it's just a custom task ).

This seems interestig, and brings up what XML namespaces can be used for.

It has been said that they can be used to separate the tasks/types
loaded by different antlibs. But yesterday I was thinking of Java, and
how import works... and I imagined having to write the full namespaces
except for the Java one, as would happen in Ant with XML namespaces...
ugh :-P

I think that XML namespaces really make things much more difficult to
write and understand. One thing I don't like in Jelly is just this use
of namespaces, where all scripts seem cluttered and simply difficult to
read.

This is why I favor that Antlibs work similarly to java imports, where
there are no prefixes *except* when specified, and then I would *not*
make prefixes free, but use the "standars" full name for that Antlib.

So, given that namespaces would not be used for this, Costin's
suggestion seems very interesting...

             - verba volant, scripta manent -