ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Wannheden, Knut" <>
Subject RE: antlib / proposal of Peter Reilly
Date Mon, 19 May 2003 10:50:02 GMT

> >   <acme:hellp xmlns:acme="NSURI" >
> >
> > This would allow arbitrary NSURIs ( for people who like
> meaning-free URIs)
> > and allow the classpath association.
> I do not want meaning-free URIs.
> I want ant to ignore URIs that it does not understand.
> At the time of processing the typedef's uri, the parsing has
> been complete, so
> my rule is that uri's used in <typedef/> have to start with "antlib:".

I don't quite see why it would be impossible to have meaning-free URIs.  I
think it makes perfectly sense.  Namespaces are to avoid name clashes.  Ant
doesn't either force you to use certain Java package names when implementing

Can't the <typedef/> task just add another antlib to the Project?

> <typedef classpath="cp" resource=".." uri="antlib:arbitarystring"/>
>    where "arbiratystring" is an arbitary string, but the
> package from is
>    treated specially with first encountered.

I think an URI like antlib:arbitarystring is quite confusing as well.  IMO
an URI starting with "antlib:" should always mean that the following denotes
a package with that antlib.  What would happen if I had a Java package on
the classpath called "arbitarystring"?

Just my 2c,