ant-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <bode...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Patch] es to be submitted
Date Fri, 11 Apr 2003 14:35:57 GMT
On Fri, 11 Apr 2003, Dominique Devienne <DDevienne@lgc.com> wrote:

> What's going on around the idea of Polymorphism in Ant? (beyond
> <datatype refid="xyz" /> that is)

The idea is to enable

<copy ...>
  <zipfileset src="foo.zip"/>
</copy>

or

<copy ...>
  <fileset src="foo.zip" ant:type="zipfileset"/>
</copy>

or something similar without doing anything in copy to make it aware
of ZipFileSet.

There have been several ways to do that.  Both Myrmidon and Mutant did
it in different ways and a few months ago Magesh proposed a mechanism
that would enable the former as well.

Whenever we start this, we soon end up discussing the syntax and stop
there.

> I vaguely recall the Ant2 proposals had something like Polymorphism,
> but they're both long dead,

But still have existing and working code that be resurrected.

> and I can't recall anything concrete around it for the 1.x Ant
> line.

Neither do I, but I'm an optimistic guy - at least from time to time.

> PS: Defining id'd datatypes outside of Ant to be shared by tasks
> *is* important,

Err, yes?  What's wrong with <typedef>?

Stefan