ant-dev mailing list archives

From Dominique Devienne <DDevie...@lgc.com>
Subject RE: [Patch] trying solve w2k command line length limitations
Date Mon, 07 Apr 2003 14:57:55 GMT
FYI, Javac is not really using java.class.path, but env.class.path
instead... By default, the former will be copied in the later by javac.c.
Discovered this early 2001 when I wrote a little Java front-end to Javac to
be Visual Studio friendly. Could be of use to the discussion??? --DD

-----Original Message-----
From: Ignacio J. Ortega [mailto:nacho@siapi.es]
Sent: Monday, April 07, 2003 9:41 AM
To: dev@ant.apache.org
Subject: Re: [Patch] trying solve w2k command line length limitations

"Stefan Bodewig" <bodewig@apache.org> escribió en el mensaje
news:m3u1daix0l.fsf@bodewig.bost.de...
> On Sat, 5 Apr 2003, Ignacio J. Ortega <nacho@siapi.es> wrote:
>
> > what i've tried is to create a properties file from gump instead of
> > passing the classpath in the command line, make a Launcher class
> > that loads it in a URLclassloader and start ant's main,
>
> Which also implies that we'll need to go through Ant's codebase and
> replace all Class.forName() calls (we better do that anyway 8-).

I didnt understand this, why?

the problem i've found when using the URLCL approach, is more a problem of
javac that didnt use resources loaded in the CL to compile, instead it needs
a real classpath with jar or classfiles in it..

or i understand you badly?

> > i've modified ant Path type to add this property to the classpath
> > like it's done with java.class.path ( this property is readonly )..,
> > and if using build.sysclasspath=only, this property contents are
> > added in addition to java.class.path..
>
> Which introduces a hole to defeat Gump, or any other setup that uses
> build.sysclasspath=only.  I've not looked into the patch, but we'll
> have to ensure that ant.class.path will be set to java.class.path when
> the launcher has not been used - and do that before the user had a
> chance to set this property.

How can i signal ant that is used by Launcher instead of directly? and the
porpouse of the launcher is that precisely, to launch ant with a given
classpath but not passing it in the command line, so how can ant set a
property before the launcher ?

--
Saludos,
Ignacio J.Ortega