ant-dev mailing list archives

From Erik Hatcher <jakarta-...@ehatchersolutions.com>
Subject Re: antlib
Date Tue, 22 Apr 2003 00:50:00 GMT
On Monday, April 21, 2003, at 05:23  PM, Antoine Levy-Lambert wrote:
> I am trying to update the antlib proposal (proposal/sandbox/antlib).

Cool stuff... glad you are on board!  :)

> There are the following features in the antlib proposal:
>
> 1) antlib & antjar
> ------------------------
>
> deployment descriptor called antlib.xml which would go in the META-INF
> subdirectory of the antlib
>
> looks like that
> <antlib version="1.5" >
>   <task name="mkdir" class="org.apache.tools.ant.taskdefs.Mkdir"/>
>   <task name="javac" class="org.apache.tools.ant.taskdefs.Javac"/>
>
>   <data-type name="description"
> class="org.apache.tools.ant.types.Description"/>
>   <data-type name="dirset" class="org.apache.tools.ant.types.DirSet"/>
>
> Note that this mechanism would also be used for the core of ant and
> for optional.jar.
> So defaults.properties would die. I believe that xml is superior to
> properties files, and the fact of using the same technique for ant
> core and for the antlibs [ to find out which tasks and which datatypes
> are defined ] is good.

Also keep in mind that we can use XDoclet to generate these
descriptors, if that seems like the right thing to do.  I'd be happy to
help out with that generation.

> 4) A framework for managing classloaders where you can specify which
> classloader to use when loading an antlib.

We ought to get Stuart Halloway involved in this effort.  He's got a
lot of experience and expertise with classloaders and has some specific
thoughts on what we can do with Ant to get some more classloader
sanity, I think.  I'm CC'ing him on this mail in case he's not
monitoring the dev list.

	Erik