ant-dev mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Using files in classpath in task file=""
Date Fri, 04 Apr 2003 15:12:40 GMT

Stefan Bodewig wrote, On 03/04/2003 8.17:
> On Wed, 02 Apr 2003, Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicolaken@apache.org> wrote:
>

>>If I had it in jars I could ship it automatically with the jar that
>>has the task that generated index.xml, so I can easily do something
>>like:
>>
>>  <xslt in="index.xml" out="index.html"
>>        style="resource:/a/style.xsl"/>
>

> I see.  What I don't see is how we could use an URI here without
> breaking backwards compatibility.
>
> In XSLTProcess we get the style parameter via setStyle(File), this
> obviously cannot be called with anything else but a file object.  If
> we wanted general URIs, we'd have to change the signature and break
> custom tasks that inherit from or delegate to instances of
> XSLTProcess.  No way.
>
> I'd rather propose to add an alternative attribute styleURI or
> something to XSLTProcess.

What I mean is not to change the passing of a File object.
I mean that we can *wrap* an URL in a File. So we pass a File, and use
an URL, getting a Virtual File System.

A File is used to open a connection, and to navigate the URI space, and
a URL has the same features.

>>Be able to specify a URL for every task that needs a file, and that
>>thus uses the above fileutils method.
>
> Again, not without changing the tasks to use something else, not File,
> in their setter method and thus severely breaking backwards
> compatibility.

But if we still use File?

>>Or maybe KISS and just add a getStyleResource(String
>>styleResource). It solves the immediate issue and doesn't open other
>>potential problems.
>
> Seems the better way to me - at least until we are prepared to break
> API compatibility on almost all tasks at once 8-)

If it were to break like this, I would also oppose. But could the
"wrapping" ba a viable solution that easily gets us full URL usage in
all file-accepting tasks?

             - verba volant, scripta manent -