ant-dev mailing list archives

From Costin Manolache <cmanola...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: JDK 1.1 support
Date Fri, 14 Mar 2003 05:48:01 GMT
Steve Loughran wrote:

>> I'm +1 to maintaining support for 1.1 if at least one committer is
>> willing to volunteer to support it ( and does it ).
>
> 1. what do we gain from dropping 1.1 support at this stage in ant1.6?

Few things. Using URLClassLoader would simplify a lot of code - to me
that's the most important point. A lot of the hacks and introspection
tricks we do may also be cleaned up. That results in easier maintainance.

The point is that nobody seems to be willing to maintain the 1.1 code.

Are you ? To reverse it - if you have any good reason for keeping 1.1
support ( or any reason at all ) - then we should keep 1.1.

I used to be very strong in maintaining 1.1 support in tomcat - and the
reason at that time was that 1.2 was not available on many platforms.
GCJ and Kaffe are now almost fully 1.2 - and they cover all imaginable
platforms.

The only place ant won't be able to run is inside MSIE.

> 2. the advantage of announcing that ant1.6 is the last java1.1 version is
> the announcement: it gives people time to get used to the idea.

If no ant committer is willing to support Java1.1 ( I'm not asking for 3 -
just one person that is well motivated ) - then I don't see how we
can maintain that support.

Costin