ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Nathaniel Spurling" <>
Subject RE: Artima SuiteRunner Task
Date Wed, 26 Mar 2003 16:46:42 GMT

Regarding suiterunner vs JUnit, I prefer the suiterunner API:

      test methods can throw Exceptions, also assertion failures generate Exceptions so you
can put one catch(Exception) at the bottom of your method and print out any useful info before
throwing the exception on, rather than separate ones for AssertionFailedError and Exception
which looks very messy. Alternatively you can leave out the try/catch altogether  - saves
typing if you just want the stacktrace -- I Don't find the failures/exceptions distinction
useful in JUnit.

      don't have to call super(String) - me being lazy again

      which tests run can be determined by a property file so if you want to run just a few
tests out of a suite you don't need to recompile/comment out bits of code

      can also put classpath info in the property file, which seems better than adding it
to your junit script or CLASSPATH

      flexible reporting of results - which you already mentioned - and which I haven't used...

                      Devienne                 To:       "'Ant Developers List'" <>
                      <        cc:
                      m>                       Subject:  RE: Artima SuiteRunner Task
                      26.03.2003 15:19
                      Please respond to
                      "Ant Developers

Could someone please explain me what SuiteRunner brings to the table that
JUnit doesn't???? I've looked at it quite a bit, and maybe beside better
reporting, I don't see anything compelling about it compared to JUnit, and
even loose the built-in assert methods of TestCase (thru Assert)...

I'd be interested in knowing what other see in it. Thanks, --DD