ant-dev mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject [Proposal] Krysalis Centipede, Ruper, Version to Ant
Date Wed, 05 Mar 2003 13:15:00 GMT

Dear Ant friends,
   I'm writing you because I have a proposal to make on behalf of the
Kryalis PMC http://www.krysalis.org/.

(please keep krysalis-developers@lists.sourceforge.net on the CC)

We would like to donate code and community efforts that are now in
Krysalis Centipede, Ruper, Version to Ant.

- Ruper is a resource updater (like jar downloader)
- Version is a versioning library
- Centipede is high level build system built on Ant and Gump,
   that uses Ruper and Forrest

For those that don't know Centipede, it's an Ant distro, turbocharged by
tasks that read the Gump descriptor and resolve projects from it, and
that download antlibs that use the descriptor data for easy user builds.
The import and xmlproperty stuff now in Ant 1.6, for example, come from
Centipede.

We have a project descriptor and dependency resolving based on the Gump
descriptor, a resource download system from repositories, and we are
working well on a versioning library. Lately we have also gained a
developer that is actively working on adding CC integration to Centipede.

As it has come out from preliminary contacts with the Ant PMC, probably
the best thing for now is just to get the Ant devs to know us better,
and better understand where to position these efforts in the Ant project.

Maybe then it's better to start of in the sandbox... let's see:

We now have five repositories involved:

  - krysalis-centipede (the distro)   \
  - krysalis-cents     (the antlibs)   > Centipede
  - krysalis-ant-tasks (the tasks)    /

  - krysalis-ruper     (the downloader)
  - krysalis-version   (versioning code)

We have some committers that we'd propose to have access to the Ant
sandbox (btw, is there a CVS module for it? In this case it would not be
a bad thing).

So we should move the contents of these repositories as subdirectories
in ant-sandbox, give access to our active developers to the sandbox, and
continue development of Centipede+others on the ant-dev list?

Let's start by saying that moving krysalis-ruper and krysalis-version to
the sandbox is ok.

For centipede and ant-tasks... we have test release cycles going on,
would that be a problem? We also need some web space...

As for krysalis-cents it's quite big, especially WRT the directories
(Oh, we'll have to leave out the GPL cents, but that's not a problem)
Hmmm...

Thoughts?

             - verba volant, scripta manent -