ant-dev mailing list archives

From Conor MacNeill <co...@cortexebusiness.com.au>
Subject Re: ClassLoader and Properties handling behaviour
Date Mon, 03 Mar 2003 12:35:35 GMT
Jason van Zyl wrote:
> Hi,

> have heard that it is now possible to specify ClassLoaders and
> Properties handlers. Is this true?

These are experimental at this stage. They have been added but not used much
or extensively tested. I think more work remains in this areas.

> In Maven we embed the use of Ant and I would like Ant to use the
> ClassWorlds (classworlds.werken.com) mechanism we have in place and
> remove the use the commons-sandbox Grant project.

We are not using Grant at the moment. I think you are probably referring to
Maven, but just to be clear. As for ClassWorlds, how would you envisage this
would be used in Ant? I'm not clear where it would fit.

Also, I'm a little concerned about violating the classloading hierarchy - it
leads to Linkage errors in my experience. I have the same concern with the
ClassLoader task.

> If this is indeed true could someone point me at the the relevant code?

The ClassLoader task is here
http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/ant/src/main/org/apache/tools/ant/taskdefs/Classloader.java

The PropertyHelper clas is here but you'll need to follow the relationships
to see how it is used
http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/ant/src/main/org/apache/tools/ant/PropertyHelper.java

> Also, someone pointed James at the lifecycle document for taskdefs but
> can't seem to find it, could someone point me at that also?

I don't know who James is in this case, but the document is here
http://ant.apache.org/manual/develop.html#writingowntask

Conor