ant-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Moebius <stmoeb...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] JDK 1.1 support
Date Thu, 20 Mar 2003 09:25:51 GMT

--- Gus Heck <gus-antdev@cognition.olin.edu> wrote:
> Steve Loughran wrote:
> > I'm very happy with the move. I just don't think we should use this
> as
> > an excuse to go s/Hashtable/HashMap/ s/Vector/ArrayList/ through
> all the
>
> I would agree that this type of conversion is of limmited value.

Just a side note: This conversion would IMHO not only be of limited
value, but plain wrong. If anything, it should be s/Hashtable/Map/
s/Vector/List, as far as interfaces are concerned.

Not only does this much more adhere to OOD principles, it also keeps a
refactored interface source-compatible with 1.1 clients, as Hashtable
also implements Map. This way there is no need for an all-at-once,
merciless refactoring...

Having said that, has anyone ever thought about whether the transition
from synchronized 1.1 collections to unsynchronized 1.2 collections
might pose any problems?

Stefan

=====
Stefan Moebius       <stmoebius@gmx.de>