ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Steve Loughran" <stev...@iseran.com>
Subject Re: 1.6 milestones ?
Date Wed, 12 Mar 2003 23:39:14 GMT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Costin Manolache" <cmanolache@yahoo.com>
To: <dev@ant.apache.org>
Sent: Wednesday, March 12, 2003 14:50
Subject: 1.6 milestones ?

> Hi,
>
> Do we have any plan or idea on when we'll start distributing 1.6 milestone
> builds ?
>
> Tomcat5 is getting stable, and the next milestone will probably include an
> "embeded" profile that will be controlled by ant and jmx tasks. It would
> really help to have a matching ant1.6M1 instead of requiring a head build.
>
> I can't volunteer as release manager - and I don't want to push anyone
> or anything, just want to get an idea about what to expect, so I either
> remove deps on 1.6 or move ahead. Right now I'm only using <classloader>,
> but I'll probably use import ( and I would use 1.6 for the improvements in
> startup time )

That's the <import> task that doesnt have any documentation, right?

Maybe the thing to do is look at what major changes still need to go in to
ant. Now that we have exploded optional.jar, we need to compensate by
perhaps adding a boot loader process for running ant, so that win9x boxes
dont run out of memory. We also need to rework the documentation.

The other feature I thought was on the cards was some kind of plugin
mechanism that pulls in new jars better -presumably a manifest, and the
appropriate extensions to <taskdef> to handle them.

I think together these would be core features that need to be up and running
before we can worry about milestone releases.