ant-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <bode...@apache.org>
Subject Re: SSH Tasks
Date Fri, 07 Feb 2003 09:11:20 GMT
On Thu, 06 Feb 2003, Dale Anson <danson@germane-software.com> wrote:

> So a BSD license would be acceptable?

Certainly.

> I wrote an ssh and scp task last month based on the jsch library
> (java secure channel), which is currently LGPL'd.

Any pointers to it?  Your task, I mean.

> I've been talking with the library author about changing the
> license, and it appears he may be agreeable to a BSD license.

Cool.  This would be extremely useful.

> His concern in changing licenses is that he doesn't want to see the
> library go the way of MindTerm, which originally was GPL, then
> changed to proprietary.

What can we do to address this concern?

Ant is under a BSDish license.  There are people who redistribute our
code, even in modified form, and do so using a commercial license.  Is
this a problem for us?  We still have Ant under our license, we don't
get access to the modifications others have made, but this is their
choice IMHO.  Furthermore "they" are forced to give credit to us and
must not call their product Ant.

If you need help in evangelizing, I'm here 8-)

Stefan