ant-dev mailing list archives

From "didge" <di...@foundrylogic.com>
Subject external FilterReaders do not get chain()ed
Date Sat, 01 Feb 2003 09:07:30 GMT
Upon inspecting the implementation of
ChainReaderHelper.getAssembledReader(), it appears that external
FilterReaders are not treated the same as the internal FilterReaders such as
HeadFilter.

This is because external FilterReaders are always instantiated and
initialized every time by ChainReaderHelper.getAssembledReader(), while
internal FilterReaders just have their chain() method called.

The reason this is an issue for me is that this means that external
FilterReaders can't benefit from a one-time initialization, even if they
implement the ChainableReader interface.

Further, because FilterChain has explicit add<filtername>() methods, adding
external FilterReader types to org/apache/ant/types/defaults.properties
won't allow you to treat external FilterReaders as internal FilterReaders as
is the case with Tasks.  Why is this the case?

Before I look into writing a patch, I would like to know if anyone is
already looking into this.

Thanks!

didge