ant-dev mailing list archives

From Erik Hatcher <jakarta-...@ehatchersolutions.com>
Subject Re: AW: ant xdocs! it ran!
Date Thu, 13 Feb 2003 20:44:08 GMT
On Thursday, February 13, 2003, at 03:26  PM, Bill Burton wrote:
> A while ago, I had merge points working.  Since the documentation for
> some of the tasks is rather verbose, it seemed to make more sense to
> keep that part in xdocs XML.  It was working so the Javadoc and an
> associated XML file for the task (if it existed) were merged by
> xDoclet.  However, the problem is if you edit the XML file, you have
> to run xDoclet again to pick up the changes.  It would be much better
> if one only had to run DVSL in that case.
>
> I'll look at getting this working again.

I might have inadvertently removed merge points from the templates.
Keep in mind that now the template is embedded in the xdoclet-apache
JAR file (but can be overridden using templatefile="..." on the subtask
inside <antdoclet>).

As for running XDoclet again to pick up the changes, I don't think this
is too much of a problem.  XDoclet does quite good dependency checking
and would probably do fine if only one example XML file changed.

> Navigation could easily be generated for each page.  The layout should
> really be done with CSS instead of tables.  This would provide more
> flexibility such as hiding the navigation when the page is printed.

Yes!  Anyone else read _Eric Meyer on CSS_?  Beautiful book.  Now for
me to apply what I've learned there one day soon.

Glad to see you jumping back into it Bill.  I was hoping the visibility
of this would entice folks to get interested.

	Erik