ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Anderson, Rob H - VSCM" <Anderson....@vectorscm.com>
Subject RE: Password task
Date Fri, 21 Feb 2003 19:39:16 GMT
The real issue is that you need to enter a password at all. If you use an
scp task that supports the use of ssh keys for authentication, there would
be no need to enter a password. The discussion of an ssh and scp task is
taking place currently on the dev list.

-Rob Anderson

-----Original Message-----
From: Steve Loughran [mailto:steve_l@iseran.com]
Sent: Friday, February 21, 2003 10:38 AM
To: Ant Users List; mattias@expertsystem.se
Subject: Re: Password task

----- Original Message -----
From: "Mattias J" <mattias@expertsystem.se>
To: <user@ant.apache.org>
Sent: Friday, February 21, 2003 06:26
Subject: Password task

> I need the user to input a password (for ftp) into an ant script, without
it
> being echoed to the screen. I know this is a common issue on this mailing
> list, but I have searched all over and found no final answer.
>
> I should state that the ant script is run (on a Linux box) through telnet,
> so a GUI popup is no alternative.

well, its a JVM problem; we cant fix it.

> I started off trying to write a shell script to read the password for me,
> but then I found out Ant steals all the input...

you could always modify ant.sh and have it ask for the password.

1. you are using ftp...the password goes over the wire in plaintext anyway,
so dont be over paranoid
2. I normally keep the passwords in properties files with access rights
restricted to the owner (me). that way you can even deploy without the
prompt