ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Anderson, Rob H - VSCM" <Anderson....@vectorscm.com>
Subject RE: SSH Tasks
Date Thu, 20 Feb 2003 17:00:40 GMT
Stefan, The ssh task is different from the telnet task in that is not meant
to handle an interactive shell session, beyond the password authentication.
It is meant to provide the ability to execute commands remotely as if you
were running ssh as follows:

ssh username@hostname 'command arg'

This sort of thing cannot be done with telnet, which must interact with the
shell. I think it would a step backwards to require the ssh task to conform
to the telnet task's functionality. This sort of thing would be much more
difficult to program (and maintain) as well.

-Rob Anderson

-----Original Message-----
From: Stefan Bodewig [mailto:bodewig@apache.org]
Sent: Thursday, February 20, 2003 12:08 AM
To: dev@ant.apache.org
Subject: Re: SSH Tasks

On Wed, 19 Feb 2003, Dale Anson <danson@germane-software.com> wrote:

> I too would like to get a feel from the Ant devs about how to
> proceed with this.

I am very interested in having ssh and scp (or sftp, don't care too
much, maybe even both) tasks within Ant's distribution.  I am willing
to maintain them (and I'm sure my fellow committers will help 8-).

> I'd be happy to donate the tasks I've done as a starting point.

This is fine with me, but maybe we should first get the task's
semantics straight.

Does your task work that way?

Oh, and you'd have to sign a donation form that I can send to you.

Stefan