ant-dev mailing list archives

From Ken Gentle <j.kenneth.gen...@acm.org>
Subject Re: cvs commit: ant/src/main/org/apache/tools/ant/taskdefs/cvslib ChangeLogTask.java
Date Fri, 21 Feb 2003 13:13:31 GMT
The primary issue is a disagreement about the necessity to preserve the
method signatures in the task since the current behaviour relies on the
IntrospectionHelper's use of a deprecated constructor which is a risk

The ChangeLogTask uses

         setStart (Date date)
         setEnd (Date date)

for the start and end attributes.  The IntrospectionHelper uses Date's
String argument constructor to invoke these setters.  However, Date(String)
has been deprecated for a very long time.

I submitted a patch for ChangeLogTask that added a "datePattern" attribute,
which takes a SimpleDateFormat pattern to be used in parsing the "start"
and "end" attributes.  I modified the signatures to be

         setStart (String date)
         setEnd (String date)

and used the input pattern to parse them or report an error.

When the patch was committed, the original signatures were back, and two
new attributes were added:

         setStart (Date date)
         setEnd (Date date)
         setStartDate (String date)
         setEndDate (String date)

The justification for the new parameters is maintaining the interface for
any extensions of the ChangeLogTask.  I don't think the class is very
amenable to subclassing (all the interesting methods and attributes are
private), and continuing to depend on the IntrospectionHelper's use of a
deprecated API seems risky.

I was leaning toward a minimal impact on the "user's" interface (a single
new attribute); Conor is leaning toward minimal impact on the "developer's"
interface (maintain the original signatures).

So Conor pulled the patch, pending a discussion of the issues.

         Ken