ant-dev mailing list archives

From Erik Hatcher <jakarta-...@ehatchersolutions.com>
Subject Re: AW: ant xdocs! it ran!
Date Thu, 13 Feb 2003 17:40:57 GMT

On Thursday, February 13, 2003, at 12:46  AM,
Jan.Materne@rzf.fin-nrw.de wrote:
> I think the index should be sorted.

Sure, thats easy enough.  The index, again, is a quick hack.  It was
generated by a simple Java program:

	http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs/ant/proposal/xdocs/src/org/apache/tools/
ant/xdoclet/IndexGen.java?annotate=1.2

that walks the generated directory structure building very simple HTML.
  Patches to this are welcome.  I won't have time to fiddle with this
for a few days at least.

> And maybe empty paragraphs (like "Parameters as nested elements" of
> http://nagoya.apache.org/gump/javadoc/ant/proposal/xdocs/build/docs/
> manual/s
> cm/vsslabel.html) don´t have to
> be there (so without that header).

The DVSL generation is merely a proof-of-concept.  It can easily be
tweaked numerous ways, or replaced with other generation mechanisms.

> (graphic of Ant is missing in the top right edge).

Oops.  I think I can fix that relatively easily, perhaps even just
replacing with an absolute URL for the time being.

> And there are no samples.

I think at some point a few samples were being included... I'm not sure
what it takes to pull them in with DVSL... or whether we want to do
that with XDoclet merge points.  I think I can get this to happen with
XDoclet merge points pretty easily (in a few days or more).

> Both (index and pages) into a frameset. (I would prefer frameset about
> table
> because
> you have the index page always at the same height if you scroll the
> manual.)

I hate frames.  :)  But perhaps for the sake of allowing us to view
this to discuss it might be a good idea.

> How it´s generated and how should documentation be done?

I don't understand what you're asking here.  You know how its
generated, right?  Ant source -> XDoclet -> XML -> HTML

How should documentation be done?  That is what we are here to discuss
and refine :)

	Erik