ant-dev mailing list archives

From Dale Anson <dan...@germane-software.com>
Subject Re: unset a property of a project.
Date Fri, 07 Feb 2003 07:25:30 GMT
I can think of several cases for unsetting or resetting  a property:

1. <timestamp/> cannot be called repeatedly with the same property.
2. Ditto for <input/>
3. Depending on which set of unit tests fail, I want to send e-mail to a
particular individual or group. I cannot do <property name="mail.to"
value="firstgroup@somewhere.com"/>, <antcall target="sendMessage"/>
followed by <property name="mail.to"
value="secondgroup@somewhere.com"/>, <antcall target"sendMessage"/>.
Instead I have to do something like <property name="mail.to.firstgroup"
value="..."/> etc. Same logic applies to subject, message body, and mail
server.
4. Building a list of modules for the <foreach/> task. I know this isn't
an official task, but it is handy in certain situations. It would be
nice to be able to append to a property depending on what modules are
available.

There are many more, these are just off the top of my head. I realize
that the original intent of Ant was to NOT be a scripting language, but
in day to day use, that is exactly what it has become. Getting
properties set from calling <ant> or <antcall> is a common question on
the user list. Many Ant users are Java programmers, and are looking for
similar constructs in Ant that they are used to in Java.

I've written a number of tasks that address these "problems". I realize
they are not necessarily the "Ant way" of doing things, but are a
natural way for many developers. In particular, I've written a <var>
task that is a mutable property. This is a flat out misuse of Ant
properties, but is very handy. Basically, it uses the publicly
accessible user properties hashtable in org.apache.ant.Project to read
and write properties. As the user property hashtable takes precedence
over the other properties hashtable, it is also possible to override a
regular property. So constructs like this are possible:

<property name="a" value="a"/>
<echo>${a}</echo> <!-- will print out a -->
<var name="a" value="b"/>
<echo>${a}</echo> <!-- will print out b -->
<property name="a" value="c"/>
<echo>${a}</echo> <!-- property can't override, will print out b -->

There are a couple ofother constructs that I've written tasks for that
turn out to be very intuitive for Java developers to use:
try/catch/finally and if/else. One of the hardest parts I had in
learning about Ant was this:

<property name="doit" value="false"/>
<target name="dosomething" if="doit">
</target>

It is counter-intuitive to think that the "dosomething" target would
execute since "doit" is false.  This is much more intuitive:
<property name="doit" value="false"/>
<target name="dosomething">
    <if name="doit" value="true">
        <!-- now do it -->
    </if>
</target>

Anyway, I've rambled and ranted enough. The tasks I mentioned are
available at antelope.sourceforge.net. Just this morning I finished
<antcallback>, which is identical to <antcall> except it supports a
"return" parameter, so you can do something like this:
<target...>
    <antcallback target="setAValue" return="a"/>
    <echo>${a}</echo> <!-- will print out got it -->
</target>

<target name="setAValue">
    <property name="a" value="got it"/>
</target>

I'll probably post this task on sourceforge tomorrow. There is already
an <antfetch> which does almost the same thing for <ant>.

Dale Anson
danson@germane-software.com