ant-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <bode...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Class-Path entry in the manifest.mf of ant.jar
Date Thu, 30 Jan 2003 08:48:20 GMT
On Wed, 29 Jan 2003, Darin Swanson <Darin_Swanson@oti.com> wrote:

> In the Ant 1.5.1 distribution, the ant.jar has a Manifest.mf file
> that contains the following entry:

fixed in Ant 1.6 (but won't be fixed in 1.5.2, sorry).

> I am interested in the reason for these entries?

Mostly historic.  Some people wanted to be able to run Ant via

java -jar ant.jar

and even claim that it works 8-).  In 1.6 we've provided a special jar
for this purpose and removed the entry from ant.jar.  As it can break
backwards compatibility in certain context, we cannot change it in a
minor version release (following our own policy).

Stefan