ant-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <>
Subject Re: SSH Tasks
Date Thu, 30 Jan 2003 14:43:20 GMT
On Thu, 30 Jan 2003, Antoine Levy-Lambert <>

> I do not understand why we have problems with GNU Licenses, and at
> the same time, we have for instance Visual Age tasks in ant.

GPL forces any code that uses a GPL license to be distributed under
the GPL as well.  This means, it is not distributed under our license,
so we won't distribute it.

> Is there any agreement between IBM and the Apache Software
> Foundation, allowing the ASF to distribute code which uses the
> Visual Age API ?

IBM allows anybody to distribute code that uses their API under any
license - at least that's my understanding.

> Concerning the SSH task, we need to find a supporting Java library
> containing SSH client functionality, on which we can base an ant ssh
> task.

If we want to distribute that task ourselves, yes.

> The ssh library itself does not have to be included in the ant
> distribution, leaving it to the users of ant to cope with
> downloading the ssh library from SourceForge and putting it under
> $ANT_HOME/lib on their machines.

>>>If the ant project was to use our standard distribution there would
>>>be no licensing conflict due to the non infectious nature of the

As I said, it depends on whom you ask.  He seems to be in the "LGPL is
not infective, even if we are talking about Java" camp.  Others have
different things to say.

Of course, the people who create the code are free to grant different
rights to different users.  If all the J2SSH authors agree that it is
OK to write BSDish code (the Apache license is a BSD license after
all), against their library and state that publically, there'd be less
trouble for us.

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message