ant-dev mailing list archives

From Costin Manolache <cmanola...@yahoo.com>
Subject Import basedir
Date Wed, 22 Jan 2003 18:31:36 GMT
I don't know if a conclusion has been reached - but
I think it is clear that we need a way to support the various
options - regardless of what default is chosen.

The best solution ( IMO ) is to associate each UnknownElement
with a Source - the file ( or URL, InputSource, etc ) that was
used to read it. The source will be a lightweight Project - with
basedir, name, file, etc.

Resolving relative paths will be based on the Source or Project-
based on some policy.

The real problem IMO is the overloading of basedir - too many
options.

There are 2 intuitive behaviors:
- resolve a relative path based on the file where it was included
- resolve it based on some base dir ( like PWD on unix ).

Since most ant files are currently using the build file as base - I think
that must be the default, with explicit overrides permitted.

Disambiguating is another solution - just use a separate property
to describe the "top" file, and use it explicitly in files written
specifically for import ( like fragments ).

I can start working on an impl this weekend - unless someone else
wants to do it or a different solution is proposed.

Costin