ant-dev mailing list archives

From Costin Manolache <cmanola...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: cvs commit: jakarta-ant/src/main/org/apache/tools/ant/listener CommonsLoggingListener.java
Date Wed, 08 Jan 2003 15:32:07 GMT
Erik Hatcher wrote:

> On Tuesday, January 7, 2003, at 11:35  PM, costin@apache.org wrote:
>> costin      2003/01/07 20:35:22
>
> [...]
>
>>   +import org.apache.tools.ant.*;
>
> Our conventions are to expand out all imports, rather than using .*

Sorry :-)
I found the setting - it's something with "if more then 5 qualified
imports, use *". I changed the setting - so hopefully won't happen
again :-)

>>   +public class CommonsLoggingListener implements BuildListener,
>> BuildLogger {
>
> This could be shortened to a single implement of BuildLogger, since
> that in turn implements BuildListener, FYI.

Yep. It doesn't hurt to have both either - I think it's easier to
read.

> Glad to see this listener/logger getting some interest!

It's a _very_ interesting piece - especially for debugging.
I use commons-logging + log4j - and a setting like:
...ConversionPattern=%-5r %-4p [%c{2}] %m%n

It's very easy to see the time for each particular operation,
filter out output and enable debugging on only one task - without
having full verbosity.
And it works very nice with tomcat - as an mbean started and controlled
from ant ( that's what I "test" the most ). Most logging in tomcat
has been converted to c-l.

Too bad I don't have more free time.

Costin