ant-dev mailing list archives

From Costin Manolache <cmanola...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Antlib... when?
Date Sun, 05 Jan 2003 15:34:16 GMT
Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:

>>> Any idea on when some sort of Antlib system will be setup?
>>

>> How is ant lib different from what krysalis does with cents
>> http://krysalis.org/cents/
>
> Basically it makes Ant load *Tasks* without having to specify the name
> and class in the buildfile. This for example can be used to
> automatically load the <centipede/> task that automatically does
> centipede init. Currently, we have to load it by a taskdef, with
> explicit taskname.

Nicola - you can just use taskdef with a resource parameter and define
all the cents at once.

Conor has a very good point - if you look at a buildfile you should
be able to tell what antlibs it is using.

Either
  <antlib name="org.krysalis.cents" />
or
  <project xmlns:cent="antlib:org.krysalis.cents" >
  <cent:foo ...>

> Cents are still more than a taglib, because they also carry resources
> and buildfiles to be imported. They are versioned and automatically
> downloaded. And access all the info about the project that Centipede
> loads from the Gump descriptor.

That's even better. You could implement ComponentHelper and intercept
the component creation and download missing antlibs, etc.
If the build file doesn't specify what libs it needs - how could
you guess ? ( i.e. if a build is written under the assumption that
the antlibs exist already in ant/lib and no reference to the
name of the antlibs is made ).

Costin