ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Jose Alberto Fernandez" <jalbe...@cellectivity.com>
Subject RE: [ANTidote] Introspection implemented and updated ToDo's
Date Mon, 13 Jan 2003 16:39:18 GMT
> From: Erik Hatcher [mailto:jakarta-ant@ehatchersolutions.com]
>
> On Monday, January 13, 2003, at 10:18  AM, Christoph Wilhelms wrote:
> > The additional information you generate is pretty useful, but can I
> > use it
> > during runtime for custom and addition tasks? If YES it
> would be really
> > nice! Ofcourse I do not want to generate any documents then, but
> > information
> > maps/arrays!
>
> The idea is that tasks that want to be hooked in to nice WYSIWYG
> editors and tools must have pre-generated their descriptor
> and have it
> embedded in their JAR.  Think of this as the "deployment descriptor"
> for Ant tasks - like J2EE web.xml and such.

This sounds like <antlib> descriptor...
This is why I keep on saying that we should provide a real good descriptor
and not just property files.

> Certainly what you have is good, and perhaps something you'd want to
> have even if you had this descriptor stuff there too, just in case a
> task library is not using an official deployment descriptor.

We probably do not want users having the explicitly describe every attribute
of a task or datatype, I guess introspection or some other mechanism should be used for that.

Jose Alberto