ant-dev mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: SSH Tasks
Date Thu, 30 Jan 2003 14:57:30 GMT

Antoine Levy-Lambert wrote:
> I do not understand why we have problems with GNU Licenses, and at the same
> time, we have for instance Visual Age tasks in ant.

In essence, the GNU license says that all code that uses GNU code, has
to be GNU code. This is not said in the Visual Age license.

> Concerning the SSH task, we need to find a supporting Java library
> containing SSH client functionality, on which we can base an ant ssh task.
> The ssh library itself does not have to be included in the ant distribution,
> leaving it to the users of ant to cope with downloading the ssh library from
> SourceForge and putting it under $ANT_HOME/lib on their machines.

Ant code would use that library. The Jar is not the only problem, it's
also its usage done in the Ant codebase.

> Antoine
>
> Here is a message from Lee David Painter, one of the authors of the J2SSH
> library
>

>>>Hi Antoine,

>>>If the ant project was to use our standard distribution there would be no
>>>licensing conflict due to the non infectious nature of the LGPL.

This is his own opinion. The fact is that it's not clear for Java
language, where "linking" is not defined, so we have decided to not risk.

Anyway, the decision is for the Ant PMC and ultimately the Apache board.

             - verba volant, scripta manent -