ant-dev mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: SSH Tasks
Date Thu, 30 Jan 2003 13:50:55 GMT
Stefan Bodewig wrote:
> On Thu, 30 Jan 2003, Antoine Levy-Lambert <levylambert@tiscali-dsl.de>
> wrote:
>
>>What does this mean in clear text ?
>
>>>There is no definitive answer here.
>
> Whether LGPL is OK or not to depend upon in ASF code depends on whom
> you ask - even among board members.
>
> For me that is enough to keep away from it.

Stefano Mazzocchi has been quite clear in this recent mail posted to
cocoon-dev and licensing@apache.org:

"
Please understand that the recursive nature of the GPL license makes it
impossible for any Apache licenced code to link to GPL code because the
GPL doesn't protect the Apache brands (so it wouldn't comply to the
Apache License requirements) and doesn't allow other licenses to further
restrict the freedom the GPL gives.

For LGPL licensed code, it would seem to be fair to link to it, but
given the nature of the Java language, there is no way to tell where the
'library' stops and where your program starts.

To avoid potential legal troubles, the Cocoon project, according to a
ASF-wide policy created by the Apache Licensing Committee, prefers to
avoid hosting and distributing any code that links to LGPL code because
that might force the entire code to be released as LGPL, thus
conflicting with the Apache license requirements of brand protection.

Also note that moch classes and interfaces don't solve the issue since
they could be considered a derivative work of the LGPL library, thus
would need to be LGPL-ed as well.
"

             - verba volant, scripta manent -