ant-dev mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Fwd: Bzip, tar, zip, etc]
Date Thu, 23 Jan 2003 14:17:33 GMT

Henri Yandell wrote:
> The problem with these is that the developer community never followed the
> code. I assume this is some political issue in Jakarta I'm not aware of.
>
> As far as I know, the Commons idea is that the group who donate the code
> are seen as the ones who are the maintainers. The very concept of a
> 'Commons committer' is anathema to the Commons charter [although such a
> thing does evolve over time].
>
> bzip/tar/zip ended up just sitting in Commons waiting for a developer
> community to arrive.
>
> There are a few things here, in decreasing importance:
>
> 1) Code must be maintained to be worth using.
> 2) Code must have a community to be maintained.
> 3) The same code ought not to live in more than one place.
> 4) Reusable code ought to be in Jakarta Commons.

Well said, apart from 4 which I would say "could" instead of "ought to".

> Now, if the Ant developers are the only ones doing 1), and they are the
> only 2) for the code, then according to 3) the code should be in one
> place. This place ought to be Jakarta Commons, but if this is not possible
> then it should be in Ant as 4) is the least important of the 4 things.

This is why it was put in Commons, but the magic didn't happen ;-)

> So, +1 to the Ant guys managing the code inside Commons, +0 to the Ant
> guys offering the jars as a separate build.

I think the main issue with this is that Ant is somewhat at the top of
the Gump dependency graph, and splitting things out is not something
that fast and easy to do correctly.

MHO is that it would be possible to have Gump bootstrap these packages
by using simple javac, give them to Ant that does the same, etc, but it
gets complicated quite easily... dunno, I'm not going to do it, and
someone has to for these to live in J-C without duplication...

So yes, I agree with you. But we have to see if someone is willing to do
the Gump changes, or we have to fallback on the ant.multi-jar option.

             - verba volant, scripta manent -